Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tuesday Construction

I took the boys to Mother's Day Out today so I could run to Lowes and buy blinds for the addition. I had a mini heart attack when the bottom dollar came up...WOW are blinds expensive. I had to special order them, so that's what raised the price from what I budgeted for them. Eric and I were going to put a small TV out there, but after spending that much on blinds, I made the command decision to forgo the TV. They aren't interested in TV anyway, but once they become interested, we might put one out there. I also picked up the vertical blinds for the sliding door.

These two pictures are of the wall that will face the woods...this is the wall you see right when you walk from the living room, into the playroom...I think that's what I'm going to call it for now...



This is the wall to the LEFT when you walk in. Our plan is to move our love seat out here...facing this wall...so you will see the back of the love seat. Although, now that I think about it, I might turn it around and back it up against this wall to keep little boys from trying to scale over the back of it...note to self!
This is a view of the ceiling...we're going to leave it vaulted
This is the view to the RIGHT of the entrance...to the deck...that opening is going to be a sliding door.
Here's a shot of the guys working on the roof...
Here's the sliding door....funny story about this door. So, Zack and Ryan told me they were going to install a 5 foot sliding door. So, I bought the necessary vertical blinds for a 5 foot door. When they went to pick up the door today, NO ONE HAD ONE!!!! So, they bought a 6 foot door, had to cut out another foot from the wall, and then installed it! Now, I have to return only the header of the vertical blinds I bought and pick up the 6 foot size. Oh well! I need to go to Lowes anyway...there was a casualty today during construction. I had to bid farewell to the light fixture in my bathroom today...just the globe part. With all the banging and shaking that comes with working on the roof, it must have fallen. I walked in to get my tweezers to get a splinter out of my hand, and almost walked right onto glass. I got that all cleaned up...rest in peace light globe!
There's a door from the family room to the deck now, but that is going to come out and become a plain wall. We both liked the idea of a sliding door since it maximizes space in the playroom and adds more wall space in the family room.
I think Eric and I have come up with some really good ideas to make this addition beneficial to us in many different ways. I really wanted to just move into a different BIGGER house, but Eric convinced me to add on, and I think we did the right thing. Our mortgage isn't changing, we live on a cul-de-sac which is great for when the boys start to play outside, we feel safe in this neighborhood, have an unusually large yard compared to other houses this size, we have some really neat neighbors, and we have a special place in our hearts for this house. This was the first house we bought as a married couple, and it has served us very well over the last 4 years. Now that I can see this play room start to become an actual room, I have a feeling that we'll spend most of our time in it! It's going to have lots of sunshine, nice hardwood floors, tons of space for the boys to play, and it's going to allow us to spread out a little. Let's face it, 1,050 square feet for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs just isn't enough.

I'm not sure if there will be much work done tomorrow, but they are going to finish the sliding door and haul off more junk. They might be working on the roof a little more, but it won't be anything I can get pictures of.

3 comments:

The Girberts said...

Wow! It's looking great! How exciting!

D said...

Looks great! But for safety, you might want to not have furniture right up against the window. At least that is what the AAP recommends. (Sorry, had to say it since I am in pediatric nurse practitioner school!)

UNC NICU RN

casadefred said...

OMG...it looks totally amazing!! The vaulted ceiling is going to give it such a great dimension. I think your furniture is going to look great in the room. The boys will be able to see out all of the windows and watch the silly dogs chase squirrels.