Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Developmental Check Up #3

I took the boys to their 3rd developmental checkup yesterday....by myself! I didn't have anyone to go with me, so I just sucked it up and went. Things went just fine! Here's the outcome...sorry it's lengthy, but it's hard to tell everyone all the specifics on the phone...so read up!

Connor

19 lbs 7.7 ounces and 26.3 inches long. He has stayed very consistent on the growth charts which is good. Once a chunk, always a chunk! HA!!! We are going to start cereals this weekend and will start veggies in mid-October sometime. I got some really good info on making baby food myself because I absolutely refuse to pay for jarred foods for two kids. It's not that hard to do it myself. I'm going to start doing it and getting stocked up in the freezer, and we'll save canned foods for when we travel.

He scored at the 7 month level for his social skills...surprised? I think not! These boys love to smile, laugh and be around other people...hmmm...just like their mommy!

He scored a little low on his communication skills. I'm not worried about this at all. He still babbles and screeches, but doesn't make any sounds other than vowels. We are going to work on this, but once again...there's such a wide range for vocalization skills, that I'm not worried about it. When he screeches, he makes loud and jerky movements with his body. So, we're going to work on whispering and varying the volume of his talking. One very interesting thing he did, was answer to his name. I seriously talk to these guys all day long. When the OT, Kim, said his name, he turned away from me to look at her! Such a smart little guy.

He needs to be holding his bottle more, and I brought that up before he was even assessed. We started that today with a little "tough love" feeding. He had to bring it to his mouth and hold it himself, when he dropped it, we started all over again. By his last feeding tonight, he already improved! He kicked total butt when it came to playing with toys, and looking at himself in the mirror. He grabbed the toys they presented him and played with each one intently.

He needs to work more on rolling over and not sitting up with his arms straight out. He's not using the correct muscles and therefor arches his back when he's on his tummy and when sitting up. Once again, I brought this to their attention before he was assessed, so I knew it was an issue already, and they gave me some exercises to do with him.

Finally, he needs to work more on grabbing his toes. Let's face it, Connor is just content with hanging out and not working for anything! We went over more exercises for this as well.

Overall, Connor is doing very well! He averaged out at his adjusted age which is good. None of the things he needs to work on, are things that I'm worried about. He'll do these things when he's ready and all I can do it encourage it. He did shoot out a couple good screeches for them!

Brandon

15 lbs 2 ounces and exactly 25 inches long. He, too, is progressing along the charts at a very constant rate. He had a length surge between May and July, and not so much between July and September. No big deal though. He is still under weight, but at least he consistently under weight! He will be on the same schedule for eating and I said above for Connor.

He, too, scored at 7 months for his socialization skills. I'm definitely going to have a couple of outgoing kids on my hands!

Communication was the same as with Connor. They are on the same track with their communication.

Holding the bottle is the same as Connor. I do the same exercises with him, but he's no where near as strong as Connor is, so I didn't push him as hard today as I did with Connor. Connor is just plain lazy, but Brandon is a little pip-squeak! He played with his toys and answered to his name too. He very gently reaches for his toys while Connor grabs. They said that's directly related to Connor's lack of volume control...I thought that was interesting. Brandon does not squeal and therefor reaches gently for his toys while Connor does and grabs...hmmm.

Brandon is a champ with rolling over and movement, but lacks strength in sitting up. He's not a big fan of the Bumbo seat and gets upset if I set him in my lap for a period of time. He loves to lay down and roll around. I have to take him out of that comfort zone a few times each day and make him sit up. They suggested I encourage him with toys while he's in my lap or in his Bumbo. I do that anyway, but it was nice to hear that I'm doing the correct thing. He did well with pushing himself up while on his tummy using his arms and not arching his back like Connor does.

Brandon likes to grab his toes when I change his diaper or whenever I tickle him. I'm going to do the same exercises with him and I do with Connor to encourage it more. The main reason for grabbing the toes is for flexibility. Once again, not a huge concern, but just something to work on.

Brandon is still failing his hearing test in his right ear. We're now being referred to an ENT to have it looked at. He's already had 2 ear infections and there's constantly fluid in the right middle ear...TUBES HERE WE COME! He'll most likely have to have tube or tubes put in. It's obviously something that needs to be done since this isn't correcting itself.

Overall, I think Brandon is doing well too! We're going to focus on his communication skills and strengthening his upper trunk. I felt really good after the appointment because I recognized their pitfalls before they were even assessed...made me feel like a good and attentive mom. I really wish Eric were here to see them grow and change, but at least I have this blog to help him be a part of it. To put these issues in perspective...even if the boys weren't preemies and didn't qualify for these developmental appointments, they aren't lacking in anything that any other full term baby may lack in. These things all vary so widely from child to child. Mine are just followed very closely to try and catch anything before it happens, and I'm very grateful to the staff at Womack. They are wonderful with the boys!

I went to the pediatric clinic and started the process to move the boys there instead of civilian care. I have to wait and see if they are going to be approved to receive the RSV vaccination on post. If they aren't, we'll stay in off post care through flu season and will move when it's over. I know the boys are approved for the vaccination off post, and am not going to jeopordize them getting that shot. It's super important for this flu season that they are protected. I'm going to ask for a flu shot myself next week at my doctor's appointment. Since I have preemies, I shouldn't have any problems getting one!

I think that's about all for now. I'm tired of writing this blog and I'm sorry if it's boring, but at least now I won't have to spend so much time on the phone trying to catch everyone up!

Hope everyone is doing well and I'll try to get some more cute pictures to put up soon!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Kate - This is Mary, Ann's college roommate. I made all of my baby food, except the cereal. (I tried that too, but it's a little tricker and a lot less convenient.) I would usually freeze 2-3 ice cube trays (I did buy some trays with lids at Bed Bath and Beyond -- mine were the $4 ones) of something at a time so that I wouldn't have to make food that often. Once frozen, I emptied my trays into double freezer bags to help keep it fresh. It worked well for us. There are even a few things you could just buy regular (like unsweetened applesauce and even canned pumpkin). I think you can provide a greater variety for them making it yourself too. And as you progress to higher "stage" foods, you won't have to be worried about what they add to everything because you'll already know. I highly recommend this website:

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

Just trust your instincts when you're pureeing. If it looks too dry or thick, don't be afraid to add water (or formula/bm -- I had to add water because I can't keep my bm for that long).