Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Yummy Recipe

Most of my friends know how controlling I am when it comes to the boys' diet. I think it's my responsibility to set a good example as well as lay the stepping stones for a very healthy lifestyle. My kids rely on me to make all of the decisions in their life! That being said, the boys like Nutrigrain bars now. They love to bite off the bar instead of picking up the pieces. Saturday, when I made it to Whole Foods, I searched for an organic cereal bar, but didn't have any luck. They all either have egg or nuts in them, or were processed with other nut/egg products. I don't want the boys to have high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils. Unfortunately, anything with fruit filling in it also contains HFCS. Brandon's allergies really limit what they can have which is a good thing at times. I'm not willing to risk giving them anything processed with eggs/nuts just yet. Until he goes through allergy testing again (not until November) I'm going to play it safe. ANYWAY, I went on a mission to find a recipe for a nutrigrain-like cereal bar...AND FOUND IT.

Click HERE for the original recipe, but look below to see how I changed the ingredients. I used the original cooking directions though.

Ingredients

2 cups frozen fruit (any variety you may like)
1/3 cups applesauce
1 1/4 old fashion rolled oats
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar/white sugar blend, packed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted

They turned out super yummy! I used 1 cup blueberries and 1 cup cherries. I think I'll add a little wheat germ next time for some added fiber. Pumpkin will probably be the next filling I try. I'd like to find another option for the butter, but I'd rather them have butter than HFCS. I froze half and refrigerated the other half. We'll see how the boys like them tomorrow.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, I'm surprised you used that much butter! Good luck finding a substitute for future batches!

Unknown said...

Could you use "I can't believe it's not butter?"
as a substitute.
Yesterday I gave Lily organic toasted o's for the first time...she REALLY likes them and if I give her about 10 when I first put her in her high chair it distracts her long enough for me to get her actual food ready.
I think I'll try the nutrigrain bars sometime this summer after she hits the 1 year mark.
Thanks for all your great food ideas!
-Heather Snow