Monday, June 9, 2008

Raspberry Lemon Custard Cake

Ok! It's summertime and time to make desserts with fresh fruit in them! I pulled this recipe out of a Woman's Day magazine and thought I'd give it a try. I only made 1/2 batch since I only had 4 custard cups. I think they would have turned out better if I had made a full batch...note to self. They were still very yummy and relatively easy. I had everything in my cabinet except for the raspberry extract. I love recipes like that!




Ingredients

1/2 pint raspberries
4 large egg whites
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp raspberry extract
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup milk
Confectioner's sugar for dusting

1. Fill a roasting pan with 1/2 inch of hot tap water; place in center of oven. Heat over to 350 degrees F. You'll need eight 6 oz custard cups; place 4 or 5 raspberries on bottom of each.

2. Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with mixer on medium speed until foamy. Beat in 2 Tbsp of the sugar until stiff, shiny peaks form when beaters are lifted.

3. With same beaters (no need to wash), beat yolks and remaining sugar in a large bowl until mixture in light; beat in flour, extract, lemon zest and juice. Gradually beat in milk. Using a wire whisk, gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture just until combined. Divide batter among prepared cups (cups should be filled to the top). Place cups in hot water in roasting pan.

4. Bake until puddings are puffed and golden brown on top, about 24 minutes. Serve puddings warm or at room temperature, with confectioners' sugar and remaining berries.

For all you Weight Watcher Junkies out there, these are only 3 points! I didn't even substitute with splenda, egg beaters or anything else "artificial" They are pretty good and worth the 3 points! I did use skim milk, but I'm not sure what kind of milk the recipe calls for. I'm not sure how they figured the fat and calories!

No comments: