Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Developmental Appointment

They boys had another developmental appointment this morning and did great! They did a hearing test on Connor and he totally ACED IT!!!! They didn't do one on B since he just had one 2 weeks ago, but want to follow up on him in at least 6 months to make sure the tubes stay open.

Connor is 25 lbs 7.5 oz! BIG BOY! They didn't chart his growth since they were very short handed today, but I doubt it's changed since their 15 month check up a few weeks ago. Developmentally, he's almost caught up to his actual age. Speech is on track and he ROCKED OUT on the motor skills activities. It's amazing what they can do!

Brandon is 20 lbs 2 oz, and still gaining!!! That's a 2 oz gain from last Monday. He's definitely behind on his speech so we're heading down the speech therapy path. Unfortunately, Tricare won't pay for it until they are 24 months old. However, the OT found a loop hole! She's going to submit him to a program offered through the county, and Tricare will pay for that! He might not be accepted since he is making sounds, but not progressing the way he should. If that's the case, there is a speech therapy program offered on Ft. Bragg, but it's only once a month and he needs a little more consistency. She gave me things to do with him to encourage him. For example, I talk to them like they are little adults. She wants me to use fewer words when I talk to him and use mainly a verb and a noun. Normally I would say, "Ok boys, it's time for your bath and then we'll brush our teeth and go to bed." Now I need to say, Bath time....that's it! She said I might be talking to them too much. I told her that I didn't have anyone else at home to talk to, and she just laughed! I'm still amazed with the activities they completed today! She gave them a peg and told them to put it in the little hole...and they both did it! It was a small hole!!!

Overall, Connor is quickly closing the gap between his adjusted age and actual age. Brandon is progressing nicely on his motor skills, but lacking a little on his verbal skills. His hearing issues could be partly to blame. I have all of his appointments and stats documented in the hopes that if speech therapy came up, I would be prepared. The OT was amazed at their over all personalities and how calm and laid back they were during their appointment. She was also amazed when I said they are like that most of the time. They are truly a blessing. I couldn't have gone through this deployment with 2 difficult children. Instead I was given 2 handsome little boys who love to goof off and have fun with life!

No comments: