Friday, March 13, 2009

Wine Poached Tilapia with Herb Sauce

I have to say that I really don't like fish mainly because of the way it smells. However, I vowed to try new things in 2009 and I've been doing pretty well! Today, I made a Wine Poached Tilapia with Herb Sauce (Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade recipe) along with some risotto, and steamed green beans. All of us chowed it down. Connor ate almost a whole fillet himself while Brandon only took one bite. At least he tried it. Connor ate a ton of the risotto too and earned a treat! Brandon, on the other hand, did not eat very well so he didn't earn his treat. It's hard to give a treat to one and not the other, but that's only way they will learn, right? I did give Brandon some raisins though and he seemed perfectly happy with that. Here's the recipe

2 cups white wine
2 cups vegetable broth
1 rib of celery cut into four pieces
1 carrot, shaved and cut into 4 pieces (I just used some frozen carrtos!!!!)
1 thick onion slice, peeled
6 tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry (I only made 3 since leftover fish isn't very good)
2 tsp Old Bay seafood seasoning
1 packet (1.6 oz) garlic herb sauce mix, Knorr brand
1 tbsp butter

1. In a large skillet, combine win, broth, celery, carrot, and onion. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a low simmer

2. Season both sides of fillets with Old Bay. Carefully slide fillets into poaching liquid, and poach for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.


Remove fillets, cover and set aside. Ladle 1 1/2 cups poaching liquid into small saucepan. Stir in Knorr packet mix and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.


Serve tilapia hot with sauce drizzled over the top.

The fish was very delicious and tender. I think it was a little salty, so I might lay off the Old Bay and make sure to buy low sodium broth. My Old Bay was the low sodium kind, but something made it taste a little too salty.

I started the risotto first since it takes a while to cook. It's delicious in the end, and worth the 20 minutes of stirring to get there. I just used a recipe on the back of the arborio rice container.

1 cup uncooked arborio rice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter (I use trans fat free kind)
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cups broth...chicken or vegetable

Saute onion in oil and butter for about 3 minutes



Add rice, stirring for about 2 minutes

Stir in 1 cup of broth. Continue cooking and stirring unti liquid is absorbed



Gradually stir in remaining broth 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more

Yields about 3 cups

You can see the steam coming off...so yummy!

I started the green beans when the rice was done. They don't take long to steam...I don't think I need to explain how to steam a veggie!!!


The finished product. Like I said, this was very delicious and I will definitely make it again...soon! Thank you Sandra Lee!!!!

No comments: