Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Mission Accomplished

Now that the boys have almost mastered cereal, we'll start veggies this weekend. I decided to make my own and not pay the ridiculous prices for the jarred stuff. Let me tell you how easy it was! I made a batch of sweet taters today. I baked them in the oven for an hour, the skin peeled right off, pureed them, and plopped them in ice cube trays in the freezer until tomorrow. I made 104 tbsp and it cost me $1.27. If I were to purchase that many tbsp from Gerber, it would have cost me almost 6 bucks. I think that's a HUGE savings considering we're just now starting foods! YAY! I'm going to do squash and carrots this week as well, and start with the sweet potatoes this weekend. I bought a magic bullet to use to get a better puree than what my electric chopper does. I also got the book called Super Baby Food. If anyone else out there is interested in making baby food themselves, this book is awesome. It tells you how to microwave, steam or bake every single veggie and fruit! It's very thorough and very easy to follow. It also has good ideas for toddlers meals. I picked up 2 books at the used store that are full of recipes for baby foods combining fruits and veggies together in yummy combinations. Stay tuned to see how the taters go this weekend. Time to buy Brandon his booster seat!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That's awesome Kate! I want to do that too when I am a mommy!