Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Developmental Appointment

Both boys did really well at their appointment this morning.

Connor

He's still totally average when it comes to height, weight, and head circ....although his head is a little large...HAHAHAHA. He tested almost completely at the 12 month level this time! That means, he's quickly catching up and losing his "preemie" status! The one and only thing he's not doing that most 12 month olds are is recognizing a word with its action. For example, if I were to say, Connor it's time for your bath. He should know to crawl towards the tub. Or if I were to say, Connor grab your pacie, he should be able to do it. This isn't a concern though. He's still well within normal development. He did ok with the hearing test but was so unbelievably tired that he almost fell asleep sitting up during the test. He talked SO well for the OT and wowed her with his awesome pincer grasp. I'm going to continue what I'm doing with them as far as their toys and language and work more on associating words with objects.

Brandon

Poor guy...he's SO little! The ped. nutritionist showed some concern about his lack of weight gain. They were surprised that I've already transitioned them off formula. There's no way I'm going back to that! They are doing well on whole milk now and I'm not going to screw that up. They want me to put butter on all of his food, and I really don't agree with that. I don't want him to get used to things tasting buttery and heavy. She also suggested I put a tbsp or so of heavy whipping cream in his milk. I'd rather do that than the butter! I'm going to replace a few of his fruit servings each week with avocado for the awesome fat and protein it has. Connor will not get any! He's a healthy kid that doesn't need to fatten up by any means. If I were to video Brandon all day long you would see that the kid never stops moving. No wonder he's a skinny minny. I'm going to start using olive oil more often and will add butter as well, but not to everything. Although Brandon may seem small, he has gained 8 ounces since his 1 year check up 3 weeks ago. That's nothing to sneeze at!

Brandon is testing at his adjusted age of 10 months which is just fine. Their only concern with him is that he's not standing up. However, Brandon has consistently been 2 months behind Connor on almost everything. He crawled, sat up, figured out certain toys, and even got his first tooth 2 months after Connor. I'm going to give Brandon until March 5th to see if he'll start standing up...that's 2 months after Connor did. If he's not standing by mid-March, the OT wants me to bring Brandon back in for a PT consult. My sister, Ann, brought up a good point. I was specifically told NOT to put my children in exersaucers or walkers because it puts them in a standing position before they are strong enough. Now, my child is behind on that issue...hmmmmm. Oh well! I'm sure he'll surprise us! His hearing remains to be a concern, but we're very proactive with it and are monitoring it very closely. I know he hears, but it might not be as clear as it could be.

We took them both for their very first hair cuts the other day! My hairdresser has the pictures on her camera (since my batteries died) and I hope to get those pictures from her soon. Brandon was being mistaken as a girl TOO many time for my liking. He looks completely different now...more like a boy than a baby...or even a girl for that matter.

Eric and I have been busy getting lots of things done. I don't think I've gotten to bed before midnight since he got home. He's been getting to bed about 2 hours before me...ARG. I've started working from home and so far it's been working out. I'm doing the billing for the CPA firm I used to work for...but from the comfort of my own home. Not a bad deal! It'll probably be 20 hours a month...give or take. It's not demanding by any means, but it gives my brain something to do!

Have a great one...time for me to hit the sack. Tomorrow is vet day for the dogs. This is a day that Eric and I dread since Jade is the Amazing Wonder Barfing Dog in the car!

1 comment:

casadefred said...

Siser - thanks for the update! You are the best. Hope that things go/have gone okay with taking the Amazing Wonder Barfing Dog to the vet. I"m sure that Rena was just a doll.