Monday, January 12, 2009

My First Attempt at Fondant

My sister bought me some fondant making supplies for Christmas and I've been itching to try it out! My trip to Florida kinda put a stop to my plans, but I tried it today and LOVED IT. Here's what I did.

Here's my recipe for egg/nut free chocolate cupcakes thank to my friend Jessica!!!

Divvie Chocolate Cupcakes

1 1/2 c cake flour (not self rising...I used Softasilk)
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used applesauce...I ALWAYS replace oil with applesauce to make it healthier and you absolutely cannot tell a difference)
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 c water

Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt

Mix the oil (applesauce), vinegar, vanilla and water until well combined. Add flour mixture and mix well. You can do all of this by hand...no need for an electric mixer! Less cleanup!

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350.

I bought a silicone heart cupcake pan from the dollar bin at Target...it worked GREAT!!!

Sorry for the glare!

Then I made my mom's buttercream icing.

1/3 cup solid shortening
1/34 c butter/margarine
1/4 tsp vanilla
3 c sifted powdered sugar
1 Tbsp milk

Cream butter and shortening, add vanilla. Gradually add sugar one cup at a time beating well on medium speed. When it's all mixed in, it will appear dry. Add milk and beat on high until light and fluffy.

I then spread a very thin layer of the icing over the hearts. This is to help the fondant stick and to level off the small holes in the cake to make the fondant look smooth.

Sorry again for the glare!

Then, I followed the instructions in the fondant book I got and came up with the following...

Not bad for my first try if I do say so myself. Now I need to come up with a rocking cool idea for the boys' birthday...hmmm...stay tuned!

The best part of this...the boys can eat these!! They are egg/nut free! I know the cake tastes good because I tasted some of the scraps after I leveled them, but I'm not sure about the fondant...I'll let you know!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Wow!! You did such an awesome job on these! You've got to teach me this when I come down. I;ve never baked with silicone or used fondant. Thanks for the shout out!