Saturday, January 24, 2009

B & C Express

The boys will be turning 2 next Friday. Since Eric is gone, we won't really be celebrating their birthday until he comes home for a long weekend in February. I decided to have a play date with our play group so we can still celebrate their big day. I love planning these things and coming up with cute ideas for the food...and especially the cake!

I got this idea from a fondant book my sis bought me for Christmas. The only thing I changed was the actual cake. I made their "cake" out of a big rice krispie treat. Due to allergies, they can't have cake but they can definitely have krispie treats. I've seen plenty of episodes of Ace of Cakes and I know that they use rice krispies often. So...here it goes. Start to finish...about 2 1/2 hours.

First of all, I made the tradition Rice Krispie recipe and put it in 2 loaf pans and one prep bowl.



Next, I made the fondant. NOTE...next time I will purchase the white fondant and color it. It's really expensive that way, but now I know why! The recipe I used was for buttercream fondant. It wasn't very easy to work with...not like to premade stuff. Oh well...I tried!



Next, I had to cut the shape of the cake out of cardboard. I knew those diaper boxes would come in handy at some point!



Then I covered it with foil



Next I cut the krispies to fit! I only had to cut 3 inches off of one of the loaves.



Then I started working with the fondant.



Here's the finished product. I'm very happy with it, even though it turned out a little different than expected. I can be a perfectionist at times, and I can definitely pick out the flaws, but I think it's very cute! I'm going to add a fondant smoke stack later.



Now I also know why fondant cakes are expensive to buy. They take a lot of time and are kind of pricey to make. If someone were to ask me to make this cake for them, I think I would charge about 50-75 bucks!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

It looks great, if there are any "flaws" they add character and cuteness, but I don't see any! GO Diaper boxes!!!

The Wietholder's said...

Thanks Kate-you make me feel horrible, I bought Lucas' cake this year! VERY CUTE...