Monday, January 26, 2009

My Almost-2-Year-Olds

The boys are like sponges lately when it comes to words, phrases, and basic info. I was cut off by another driver the other day and said, "you idiot"...then Connor said "you idiot" OOPS! Now I can't even say those kind of words because I don't want the boys to use them. Shew.

We got the flashcards out after dinner. I go through these with them about twice a week or so....or every time they bring them to me. I never turn down a book or the flashcards. I was amazed at how many of the cards Brandon knew and could tell me what the card was...pretty clearly. Here's a list of what he can say...

peas
leaf
butterfly (he calls them bah-bys)
cow - and says moo
moon
dog - and says ARF
star
giraffe (he calls it a "jaff")
owl - and says WHO WHO
pizza
blocks
water
pig
fish
duck
sun
truck
apple - he says this word VERY clearly
flower
kitty
tree
train - and he says choo choo
bear
lady bug - he just calls it a bug
sun
bee
turtle
banana

Connor can recognize all of those too, and also

cloud
grapes
spider
chicken - and says "bawk bawk"...like the Cadbury Bunny
tiger

I guess I was so amazed that they both recognized all of these things AND said the word. They each sat with me for 30 minutes each to go through the cards. I would just hold up the card and say, What is this? There are a lot of other words they know like body parts, food, the Wiggles characters, and names of their toys. Connor has pretty much mastered the shape sorter, and Brandon is SO close to getting them all correct. They know the colors yellow and green (neen as they say it) I'm officially no longer concerned about their speech at all!!!! They know about 5 2-3 word phrases like, more please, up please, i love you, hi...fill in the name, and buy bye...fill in the name, and all done. They know a lot of my friends by name as well as other little kids by name. They call each other "Nonnor" and "Mandon" They used to call each other bubba, but they are starting to use names now. I'm so proud of them. I know these are things all other almost 2 year olds do, and I'm not bragging about them at all. I'm just excited that they are learning at a normal rate and are able to communicate with me more.

Brandon is a very observant little boy. Aunt Bri was in town at the beginning of the month. They started called her Aunt B. I was at my friend's house earlier this week and Brandon kept pointing to her kitchen counter and saying Aunt B. I said, No honey, that's Miss Michelle...not Aunt B. Then, when I looked up on the counter, Michelle had the exact same Very Bradley pattern that Aunt B has. I couldn't believe he noticed something like that. I love Vera Bradley and I didn't even notice. He's such a smart cookie!

They are also FINALLY picking up on the whole idea of using utencils at meal time. I know everyone says...kids will do things when they are ready. Some of us stubborn moms want them to do things on our schedule. I gave up with the spoons and forks about a month ago. I spent more time forking their food for them or cleaning up huge messes from them turning the spoon upsidedown. Now, they eat with a spoon very well and are actually attempting the fork...and succeeding sometimes. One thing I absolutley will not push them on is potty training. They have both pooped once on the potty and that's it. They each still sit on the potty regularly...especially when I hear their pooping sounds, but nothing has happened. I put one of their potties in their room and they like to say potty and sit on it. That's about as far as we've gotten. I don't think I'll go full force on it until this summer, but there's no problem in talking about it. It's a long work in process!

Here are some pictures from "craft time" today. They painted for the first time and did pretty good. I found some old paint from when I was an RA in college...like 9 years ago. It happened to be Crayola Washable. I gave it a good shake and it was good as new! I tape the paper to the table whenever they use crayons, stickers, markers, etc and it works like a charm. I also taped their paint pallet (a plastic plate) to the table so they wouldn't toss it on the floor!!!!



Here are a few cute videos from this week...just so their Daddy can see what they've been up to!





No comments: