Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Super Bowl Snack Throw Down Week 4

PIGSKIN POTATO QUESADILLAS



When I think "potato" and "football snack" I think of potato skins of some kind. Traditional potato skins have already been done so I had to switch things up a little bit. I took the taste of potato skins and thought to myself, how can I incorporate that taste into something else, and went searching my my kitchen cabinets. Tortilla shells! OF COURSE! Thus, the PIGSKIN POTATO QUESADILLAS were born.

INGREDIENTS

8 flour tortillas
1 lb red potatoes, washed, peeled, but with some skin left on
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp sour cream, plus more for garnish
3 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled** (see bottom note about cooking bacon)
1 green onion, chopped plus more for garnish
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
cooking spray
salsa for garnish

The first step is to make mashed potatoes. You can use instant if you want to just be sure to add the onion powder and garlic powder for the taste, but then omit the butter, sour cream, and milk I listed!

  1. Boil potatoes until fork tender. Drain and place in a bowl.
  2. Add butter, sour cream, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix with hand mixer until smooth. (1 pound will make roughly 2 cups of potatoes.)
  3. Mix in the bacon and green onion by hand
  4. Spray the bottom of one tortilla with cooking spray and place in warmed skillet
  5. Layer 1/4 cup cheese, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1/4 cup cheese, second tortilla shell, and more cooking spray.
  6. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until nice and golden.
  7. Continue with remaining tortillas
  8. Allow to set for a few minutes before slicing with a pizza cutter
  9. Garnish with some more green onion, sour cream, and salsa

Cheese....
add potato mixture, and then more cheese
add second tortilla and spray with cooking spray
brown on both sides.


These were so easy to make even by making the mashed potatoes from scratch. Think of how MUCH easier it would be to use instant!!!! I loved the taste of these, the boys loved them, my neighbor came over for a taste and loved them, and Eric loved them. Eric just got braces on his top teeth and isn't able to chew much, but he put up with the pain in order to eat them. Thanks babe! I hope you all enjoy these as much as we all did!!!!

**Side note about bacon. For those of you who own a piece Pampered Chef stoneware, I like to cook my bacon on my bar pan. I cooked it at 425 degrees for about 17 minutes. It makes nice, flat, crispy bacon and there's no grease splatter! If you don't have the bar pan, any other piece of stoneware that has an edge of some kind will work! I have to give a SHOUT OUT to my old coworker Audra. She told me about making bacon on her Stoneware and it is an awesome idea!

No comments: