Monday, November 17, 2008

I fought the Meringue and the Meringue

LOST LOST LOST!!!! I made my first attempt at meringue cookies last week, and they weren't good at all. Let's face it, they were horrible! I wasn't about to surrender to a cookie recipe, so I decided to try it one more time. They turned out perfect and delicious...not to mention really low in calories and fat! My mom used to make mushroom shaped meringue cookies when I was little. I know those are extremely time consuming, but very delicious.

Mint Meringues

4 large egg whites, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE...very important
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp mint extract
green food coloring
3/4 cup chocolate chips, chopped smaller. You could just use the mini chips, but I didn't have any on hand

Beat eggs whites and cream of tartar on high until becomes white and foamy. Gradually add sugar until thick, then add mint, fold in chocolate, and add food coloring.

Preheat oven to 200. Line 2 baking sheets wit foil. Transfer batter to a large ziploc bag. Snip a 1/2 corner off the bag and squeeze meringues onto foil lined sheets.

Bake for 2 hours, then turn the oven off and let cookies sit in the oven for an additional 30 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy. YUM YUM YUM

I also made Snickerdoodles!

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt

Make a mixture of...
4 tbsp sugar
4 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix together shortening, and 1-1/2 cups sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs one at a time blending well after each. Combing flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir into the batter until blended.

Roll dough into balls, toss in cinnamon/sugar mixture. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes until lightly brown, yet soft. Also..YUM YUM YUM
My freezer is SO full, it's not funny! Eric has fallen in love with the PB and chocolate covered cherries!!!!! I'm almost done with all of the baking I wanted to do. So far, I've really enjoyed doing all of it and am looking forward to sharing it all with our friends this holiday season.

No comments: