Thursday, November 20, 2008

The final treat

I'm finished! I made the last recipe to complete my holiday treat making extravaganza! I'm woman enough to admit that I totally screwed up my first attempt. I've never made candy before, but have learned that I can't get distracted when making candy!

Cinnamon Hard Candy
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon oil
1/2 tsp red food coloring

Combine water, sugar, and corn syrup, bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover; cook for 3 minutes. Uncover; cook over meduim high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 310 degrees (hard crack stage) Remove from heat, stir in oil and food coloring, turn away from the stove as odor will be strong. Immediately pour onto a greased baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, score into pieces. Continue to recut until candy is cut into squares. I used a pizza cutter which worked wonderfully!

I think I could have used a little more red food coloring, but they taste delicious! After they were set, I put them in a baggie with a little bit of powdered sugar to keep them from sticking to each other.


Here's a look at the final display! I have a pot luck at class tonight, so I put together a dessert tray.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, I know that took you a lot of work, but doing it little by little is the way to go (and makes it enjoyable). The Simple addition plates look really great with all your goodies! Have fun tonight, and I hope the snotty girl in your class can't resist trying some!

The Girberts said...

Wow! What do you do all of the baking for? I am going to have to try some of your recipes! I have a couple of cookie exchanges coming up! I love this time of the year!

Allison said...

So I know I don't comment much, but I enjoy your ideas and glimpses into your world. I wanted to tell you how excited I am for the cinnamon candy. I love fireballs and cinnamon gummi bears. Thanks for sharing.