Friday, September 26, 2008

Say WHAT????

Brandon had his second speech evaluation on Friday. I took Connor to MDO and dropped him off all by himself. When I picked him up, they said he just moped around the whole time. I should probably do that more often. It was really nice to have just one boy, and it's good for them to be away from each other a little bit.

Brandon officially qualifies for some speech therapy through Cumberland County. We might have a small co-pay, but the therapist didn't think we would. On a very positive note, Brandon tested at the 22 month old level on his receptive skills. He followed all of their directions very well and played by himself very well. On a not so positive note, his verbal skills tested at about a 8 month level and his expressive skills were at about a 14 month level. I'm not worried about his delay because I've known this for a while. I know how much Eric and I work with him and offer him the environment to learn, but his mind just isn't picking it up the way it should. They gave me a list of therapists to consider and I'm to call the office back early next week to start the approval process through our insurance company. I have a friend who is a Speech Pathologist for the school system here and is very familiar with the therapists in the area. I hope to chat with her a little bit and get her opinion on the therapists made available to me. Brandon charmed the 3 ladies that came over and they described him as a very curious active toddler who explores his environment well. Once again, I'm very thankful to have the option of being a stay at home mom so I can pay very close attention to the boys. I've seen the lack of progress in B's verbal skills from the very beginning. Now, at 20 months, there's no problem trying to get him the therapy he needs!

He should get one 30 minute session a week for a period of time still to be determined. We'll keep y'all posted!!!!

1 comment:

Wilson Family said...

Cameron's boo boo is better. Thank you for asking. Your boy are really growing up. I don't know if you remember but I am a speech therapist with First Steps in KY. I see kids birth to 3. If you have any questions about Brandon let me know. It sounds like you are on the right track though!