Saturday, February 6, 2010

SUPER BOWL of the Super Bowl Snack Throw Down

FANTASY FRITO CANDY



It's been many weeks, many recipes, many late night postings, many attempts at finding good lighting in my itty bitty house for pictures, and many trips to drop off my culinary creations to my most devoted supporters. Now, at the final game of this contest, I'm up against Frito-RAY.
Be sure to head on over to HIGHLOWAHA to see what Frito-RAY comes up with and to get in on the smack talk action! I do have to say that he laid down some serious smack talk when he announced our ingredient.

The ingredient was Fritos of course. When I saw it was Fritos, I immediately thought of chili with Fritos. I decided to take the idea of "chili" and go in a different direction. There are a lot of different recipes for chocolate and Fritos. I decided to pick and choose from a few different recipes to come up with my final recipe for today.


INGREDIENTS
  1. 1 11.5 ounce bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
  2. 1 stick of butter
  3. 1/2 cup brown sugar
  4. 2 Tbsp peanut putter (Omit if allergic!)
  5. 1 tsp cinnamon
  6. 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  7. 2 cups Fritos, lightly crushed plus more for garnish
  8. 2 cups rice cereal, lightly crushed (Iused 1 cup rice chex and 1 cup corn chex)
  9. 1/2 cup chopped peanuts (Omit if allergic)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Cover a cookie sheet or bar pan with parchment or wax paper.
  2. Put the first 6 ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for about an hour or until it is all melted and combine. I used a 1.5 qt crock pot. The larger the crock pot, the shorter the amount of time it will take to melt.
  3. Dump the Fritos, cereal and peanuts into the melted chocolate mixture and stir until combined
  4. Using your oven mitts, pour the candy mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet and smooth to about 1/2 inch thickness. I sprinkled the top with some more Fritos
  5. Put in the refrigerator for about an hour.
  6. Cut into 2 or 3 inch squares and ENJOY!


This candy has the pepper and corn taste of the Fritos, richness of the chocolate, and the kick of the cinnamon and cayenne. You can omit the cayenne if you want, but trust me...it's delicious! You can use pretzels instead of cereal, or try rice krispies, or add marshmallows if you want to. This is a very versatile recipe that can adapt easily to your favorite chips and sweets.

No comments: