Friday, December 11, 2009

SUPER BOWL SNACK THROW DOWN WEEK 13

UPSHOT BROWNIES
(Two Ways)


Shot glass version for a bite sized dessert, and wine glass version for a more sophisticated look.

I knew I wanted to do another dessert when pineapple was chosen as our ingredient. Once again, I went to the cabinet for inspiration. A box of chocolate cake mix made me think of a brownie, a box of cheesecake pudding sounded like a good topping, and a can of crushed pineapple mixed into the pudding made me lick my lips! All I needed to get were some fresh strawberries for some color and a slice of banana for good measure. These ended up tasting a lot like a banana split, but the pineapple flavor was definitely stronger than the banana. After being taste-tested by my husband, neighbor, and good friend they were referred to as a "party in the mouth!"

Once I figured out WHAT I wanted to make, I needed to decide HOW to make it. Then I remembered seeing some desserts in shot glasses at a restaurant recently. I think that restaurant was Applebees...if my memory serves me correctly. Thus, the UPSHOT BROWNIES came to life.

Head on over to HIGHLOWAHA to cast your vote in this weekly contest. Click the red oval to enter the site, look for the voting polls on the right, and click to vote. Be sure to vote on the ingredient for the following week too!!!

INGREDIENTS
  1. 1 envelope brownie mix, prepared according to directions
  2. 1 box sugar free fat free Cheesecake Pudding
  3. 1 small can of crush pineapple, lightly drained
  4. 1 cup milk
  5. 1 16 oz container of Cool Whip, separated
  6. 1 cup of sliced strawberries (TIP Use your egg slicer to slice perfect strawberries!!)
  7. 1 banana sliced in 1/4 inch thick pieces
  8. mint leaves for garnish
DIRECTIONS
  1. After the brownies have been baked, set them aside to cool
  2. Take the dry pudding mix and whisk in 1 cup milk. Let it set up for a few minutes and fold in 1 cup of the cool whip and lightly drained pineapple.
  3. Turn your shot glass or wine glass upside down and press down into the brownie while turning at the same time. You need 1 brownie cut out per shot glass and two cut outs per wine glass.
  4. Now it's time to layer your cups. For the shot glasses I layered one banana slice, a few slices of strawberry, a spoonful of the pineapple cheesecake pudding, cap off the shot glass with one of the cut outs, top with a dollop of cool whip and finally garnish with the mint leaf.
  5. For the wine glasses I layered a large spoonful of the pineapple cheesecake pudding, one brownie cutout, 6 slices of banana, 6 slices of strawberries, another spoonful of pudding, a second brownie cutout, and top with cool whip and mint leaf.
  6. Put in the freezer to set for 10 minutes or just place in the refrigerator. If you freeze it, be sure to pull it out about 15 minutes before serving it.
This is a cute way to give your guests a party gift. Eat the dessert and keep the glass! You can change this recipe up very easily too. You could use cake instead of brownie, a different flavor pudding and fruits. I enjoyed creating this dessert, hope you enjoyed reading about it, and hope you didn't lick your computer screen too much!

I would like to say THANK YOU to my friend Edie for allowing me to come to her house to take these pictures. I have ZERO natural light in my house, and she has a lot in her beautiful new home. I think it was worth the trip!

No comments: