Thursday, November 12, 2009

SUPER BOWL SNACK THROW DOWN WEEK 9

TRIPLE "S" SNACK SACKS



Let me first say, thanks to all of my friends and family who took part in last week's challenges! My aunt dressed up her kangaroo and had him hold a spatula, my optician donned face paint, and my husband made his coworker pose with a plastic spoon. I have some pretty awesome friends and family!!! I was fortunate enough to be able to pick the ingredient for this week as the prize for winning. I went back and forth between cayenne and artichokes, but ended up settling on cayenne. Hopefully, artichokes will come up again because I already have a recipe in mind...HINT HINT everyone!

Head on over to HIGHLOWAHA to vote, starting Friday the 13th. Click on the red oval to enter the site and look for the voting boxes on the right hand side. You all get to vote for the ingredients for the next 2 weeks as well. The voting goes from Friday through Sunday at 9 CST.

I named this recipe Triple "S" Snack Sack because it has 3 different flavor profiles.

Sweet, Salty and Spicy!


INGREDIENTS

  1. 1/2 lb butter, melted (2 whole sticks)
  2. 4 Tbsp brown sugar
  3. 1 tsp chili powder
  4. 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
  5. 2 tsp garlic powder
  6. 1 tsp onion powder
  7. 1/2 tsp tobasco
  8. 1/2 tsp cayenne
  9. 8 cups rice cereal (I used Crispix)
  10. 6 oz cheddar crackers (I used goldfish)
  11. 11 oz pretzels
  12. 6 oz mini ritz (I used the cheddar filled ones)
  13. 12 oz can cocktail peanuts
  14. 11oz Fritos
I know it looks like a lot of ingredients, but the directions are very easy.

  1. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a sauce pan over low hear and stir until all combined.
  2. Put the last 6 ingredients in a large pan. I used my turkey roaster
  3. Pour the butter and spice mixture over the dry ingredients in 2 batches and toss to coat
  4. Place on lipped cookie sheets in a nice thin layer. (I used my broiler pan bottom, my stoneware bar pan, and a 9 x 13 pan. Use whatever you have!)
  5. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Stir it every 15-20 minutes to ensure even cooking.


Look at that YUMMY plethora of crunchy goodness!

I wrapped them up in little homemade sacks. I made them out of large triangular shaped pieces of freezer paper. If you wrap them up with the waxed side on the INSIDE then you won't have grease spots on the outside! I used my boys' crayons and put footballs, helmets, field goals, and pom poms on the outside for a little festive kick. You can also use wax paper, parchment paper, or even scrapbook paper, but beware of grease spots! Pack these to a weekend soccer game, set out at a birthday party, and definitely take them to next weekend's football gathering!




No comments: