Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kate's Crazy Good Eggplant


Truth be told...I LOVE VEGGIES. I eat a lot of veggies and a lot of different veggies. The only time I ever eat eggplant is when we get a chance to go out to eat...which is rare. I admit that I create some pretty funky meals at times, and not everyone in the house is as into trying new things as I am. I just like to see what I can get the boys to eat...because they like it all!!!! Eric was out of town this weekend for an Army 10 mile run in DC. WAY TO GO ERIC..he finished in 1 hour and 24 minutes, and his goal was 1 hour and 30 minutes. While he was gone, I figured it was a good chance to put my concocting apron on! Here's what I came up with...and EVERYONE liked it!!! I understand eggplant isn't the tastiest thing to eat and does have a funky texture. However, when it's covered in sauce and few different cheeses...IT BECOMES A HIT!

You'll need about 2-3 tbps of pesto. I bought a packet of pesto powder for the first time and it worked really well and was really easy. All you need is water and olive oil.


PESTO!

Next, take a 15 oz container of ricotta cheese and mix in 1/4 cup of parm, romano, and asiago cheese...1/4 cup total not 1/4 cup each. Add you 2-3 tbsp pesto and mix well. NOTE - you can add 1 beaten egg, but I didn't...for obvious reasons!!!


RICOTTA and PESTO!!!

Next, slice a medium sized eggplant into 1/4 in slices. NOTE - from now on I will peel the eggplant first. I really don't care for the skin and the boys spit the skin back out

Lay the eggplant into a greased 9 x 13 dish

Top with 1/2 ricotta mixture and some mushrooms. I used canned, but only because I didn't have any fresh.
Repeat layers!
Top with a 26oz can of sauce. I covered it with foil and put it in the fridge until dinner. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees..covered with the foil!
Remove the foil and top with about 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. I topped it with some tomato pesto seasoning I happened to have, but you can use either pepper or italian seasoning...if you want to.
Let cool for a few minutes for sauce and cheese to set up a little, and ENJOY!

Eric is not an eggplant fan at all, but he liked this better than the last eggplant recipe I made. He said spaghetti sauce and LOTS of cheese make anything taste good! I really liked this and so did the boys. They were almost like eggplant patties. I might try it again, but use less sauce next time and then put it on a whole wheat or maybe even a ciabatta bun. YUMMY!!!!

No comments: